This recipe "dresses up" polenta a little and with it's bright yellow, green, and red colors it looks very festive as well. It's a great recipe to enjoy on a cold winter's day as it's quite filling, but still very healthy. All of the ingredients provide us with essential nutrients and the walnuts, spinich, and roast tomatoes are especially good.
Walnut and Spinich Polenta with Roast Tomatoes
8 medium tomatoes
500 grams polenta, shaped and cooled
125 grams (4oz) plain flour
2 T. olive oil
400 grams spinach
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 chilli, chopped
125 grams walnuts
1. Heat oven to 350° F.
2. Cut the tomatoes in half.
3. Lightly oil a baking sheet and place the tomatoes on it.
4. Bake tomatoes in the oven for 25 minutes.
5. Cut the polenta into 16 slices, brush with oil, and place on a baking sheet in the top of the oven for 15 minutes.
6. Heat 1 T. of olive oil in a large pan and lightly cook the spinich for 2 minutes.
7. Add the crushed garlic, chopped chili, and the walnuts.
8. Mix thoroughly and cook for 1 minute more.
9. Divide the spinich mix between four plates, top with the polenta slices and roast tomates, season to taste, drizzle with a little olive oil and serve with fresh, crusty bread.