We've tested several recipes for Ethiopian Honey Yeast Bread and this one is our all time favorite. We hope you'll love it as much as we do.
Ethiopian Honey Yeast Bread
1 (1 T.) package active dry yeast
1/4 Cup water, lukewarm (110 to 115 degrees F.)
1/3 Cup honey (the highest quality available to you)
1 T. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 Cup whole (don't skimp, use whole) milk, lukewarm
6 T. unsalted butter, melted
4 to 5 Cups all purpose flour (if you want a healthier bread, make 1/3 of the flour whole wheat)
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water. Let stand for 3 minutes, then stir to dissolve. Set the bowl in a warm place for about 5 minutes; mixture should double in volume. If it doesn't, repeat procedure.
2. Combine egg, honey, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a deep bowl, mixing until smooth. Add the yeast mixture, milk, and 5 tablespoons of the melted butter. Beat until well blended. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, until becomes too stiff to stir.
3. On a lightly floured board, knead the dough, adding a small amount of flour when necessary to keep from sticking. Knead for about 5 minutes. Place dough in a large, greased bowl. cover with a damp cloth and let sit in warm place for about 1 1/2 hours.
4. Grease a baking sheet with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Knead the dough again for only a few minutes. Shape the dough into a round and place it on the greased sheet. Preheat the oven to 325*F.
5. Let the bread rise again while oven is preheating.
6. Bake the bread for 1 hour, or until the top is crusty and a light golden brown.
Serve with coffee or tea and enjoy! This is such a delicious recipe. We feel once you try it, it'll become one of your favorites.